Thursday, August 23, 2012

quote

"Before you able to draw, you have to learn to see..."  Junelle Jacobsen

I've been running across this same sentiment lately.  I think there is great truth in this statement and can probably be interpreted in many ways.  I think most people can see the literal interpretation but I see more than the obvious when I create art.  I think that you have to feel your art, make it part of yourself.  What does your heart lead you to create.  What do you see that others don't see when you look at something.  I'm always thinking, even if subconsciously, how can I translate that into something artsy.  I look at things with a different eye than I used to.  

Yesterday, I saw a dead butterfly on the payment of a parking lot.  The first thing I thought of was how cool that would be in my art.  I looked at the colors in its wings and the shape and form of the butterfly.  I thought of how I could preserve it for use in art.  If I could have safely transported it home, I would have.  It kind of hurt my feelings to have to leave it.  But my point in this story is that most people would have only seen a dead butterfly.  For me it was art in the purest sense.

I know this is probably rambling, but this quote got me thinking and I just felt like sharing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm still working on separating my artistic eye (how I see soemthing) from my scientific eye (how something really is. It is not easy!

    `Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true! But the more I play, the easier it becomes. Get out your paints and just have some fun.

    ReplyDelete